Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mothers Cradle

...............................Mothers Cradle
"Mothers Cradle"

This is the piece that came together from a family's Christening outfits. A commission piece that scared me just a little, cutting up preciousness. But I am so thrilled at how it evolved. My original idea was a type of nest...then it grew more into a cradle nestled into a blossom branch. The colours, fabrics, raw silks, buttons and hanging threads were divine to work with. There was even a little label with 'Pretty Originals' as the brand and I felt that fitted perfectly.

Em is thrilled with it. As perfect timing would have it, 'Mothers Cradle' arrived at their home a day before their last born childs (is there a better word for that?) birthday. Almost like a celebration piece for this beautiful family.

I am so thankful I had this opportunity to create such a meaningful artwork. Thank you Em for having faith in me.....

6 comments:

Jo Wholohan said...

I absolutely love this Nic, just stunning xx

Anna Bartlett said...

Nic, that's beautiful. It's as if the fabric was temporarily clothing and that this artwork is what it was always meant to be. Congratulations.

artymarty said...

It's so beautiful Nic. So ethereal. I must admit I had trouble thinking about you cutting up those beautiful garments but that's my stuff from spending hours sewing clothes like that years ago. But your piece is gorgeous. The family is very lucky
Martina

Debbi Baker said...

Absolutely perfect Nic - I love the softness of the fabric with the underlying strength of the cradle. Dreamy...

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

very useful post. I would love to follow you on twitter.