Thursday, June 24, 2010

take no prisoners, make no apologies!



I paint my way through challenges. Sometimes its in my journal, other times its on canvas. Its how I get it out, work it through. But I'm able to do it by turning the challenge around, affirming it in a positive light and how I see things changing. These personal struggles have made my art richer. They are the fuel for my inspiration. There is depth + meaning, shadow + light, strength + weakness. Its what makes my art real.

The painting becomes part of the solution. Affirming a new state of being.



This is part of how I communicate. with myself and the outer world. And this is how I am in the artsy world.I'm stepping into who I truly am. As a person and as an artsit. No apologies.


Take no prisoners, make No apologies for what I create.


After being told a couple of years ago, by an art critic who writes for the local paper to stop painting 'those silly girl faces' its been a been a challenge to flick that off and put them out there again. But its time for me to stand firm in the truth of who I am.

10 comments:

Shelby and Bev said...

silly girl faces???!!! i WISH i could paint faces like you do...stunning, they are!!

Suzanne said...

Love this title, love this painting, love this attitude! You go, girl!

IdaDown said...

I loved the pic as soon as I saw it. It's so hard to shrug off the negative comments, and "to keep the faith". In your darkest moments it may not seem so, but you are courageous. Keep experimenting, pushing boundaries and doing what is fulfilling for you.

Eliza said...

Too bad for them, your paintings are fantastic Nic, so don't shake anything off, do what you do and be happy. I love this painting especially the eyes.

Denise Daffara said...

How interesting we have critics... people who missed that lesson growing up "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"...

constructive help from someone if asked might be helpful...

but straight out bagging someones work is not beneficial for anyone.

I sometimes laugh to myself and think no one can say anything worse to my than I already have probably said to myself... so pppftttt!

Enjoy your fabulous self!

x Denise

Kym Breeze said...

Love this, love your energy and your new direction, remember a conversation we shared on this some years ago and like then I say, her comments have more to do with her female qualities than yours...you go girl, you inspire me, and I love our friendship and bonds...this new work is like a completion of beginings, the tones texture and tattooing all wonderful..big hugs xoxox

Karan Simoni said...

OMG! Your work is beautiful! So glad you didn't listen to that critic. Popped over from Flying Lessons. I am WAAAAAYYYYY behind on reading the class posts because I am in the middle of a big move, but wanted to comment that I really like your blog, your words and your art.

Lorri said...

Beautiful Nic, everything you create is beautiful. I totally agree with what Denise says! Thank you for sharing your work, and thank you for your sweet comment on my crescendoh readers story. I was brave! My art is always from the heart and I can see yours is too xo

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

gorgeous, just GORGEOUS!

l said...

I agree with you. If we acted on everything other people wanted us to do - we would be a poor version of ourselves.

love
Louise
xx